Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Big Surprise for Wifey !

I will be posting this from my cell phone with voice to text recognition. I blame any and all punctuation and grammar errors on the phone. Lol.

I was talking to a coworker a few days ago and telling her that this coming Friday was my wife's birthday. This was going to be the first time in our 15 years of marriage that we have been apart on her birthday.

I had picked up no extra shifts the rest of the week as most of the vacations have begun to die down. My coworker mentioned that I could switch a shift with someone else creating an extended period of time off. That got the wheels in my brain turning.

I text another coworker to see if she was interested in switching shifts. My usual work week is Monday Tuesday Thursday. Normally that would give me Wednesday Friday Saturday Sunday off. My coworker was willing to take on my Thursday and in turn I would cover her Friday next week. This would give me Wednesday thru Sunday off. Thats 5 days! With no income lost.

One of my uncles owns a car dealership nearby. My dad is the used car manager. And another uncle is the service manager. I make it a point to never ask for anything as I was raised a man takes care of himself. But now that I've been away from my family for 6 weeks and my wifes birthday was approaching I swallowed my pride and made a request.

To my delight my uncles and father have loaned me a rental car that gets almost three times the miles per gallon that my Jeep gets me. By my calculations I should be able to drive to Arizona for around $100.

I am truly blessed to have such a loving family and I am excited to be on my way home to see my wife and daughters. It will be about a 16 hour drive if I don't waste too much time.

A quick stop for some drinks and I'm on my way now. Its about 1 o'clock in the afternoon Arizona time. I should get home just in time to take the girls to school and surprise my entire family with a visit.

I have asked wifey not to read the blog for a few days as it would spoil her surprise birthday present. She thinks I am putting something together for her and some girl friends from church. My third oldest daughter got her braces off today and her smile looks beautiful. I can't wait to see her in person.

Thank you to everyone who made donations . Wifey would not be getting this birthday surprise if it weren't for you.
No word yet on a trailer or a rental house. The loan officer at the trailer dealership send me a text about 30 minutes ago letting me know he would be going on  vacation.  He assured me that someone else would be contacting me soon and that I was in good hands. We'll see about that.

I made half a dozen or more calls on rental houses and was unsuccessful 100 percent. Some were already rented , some where already sold, and one denied me because I have a German Shepherd. I asked him why and he said the owners don't allow vicious dogs like pit bulls Dobermans and German shepherds. I was rather shocked at this comment. I told the man, you do know  german
shepherds are police dogs right?

Whatever. I'll keep looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment