Sunday, June 9, 2013

The Road to Going Galt

My Pops leading Monster & Flower around on horseback.
Writing is something I learned to enjoy after a wonderful college class at Arizona State University called ENG301 Writing for the Professions. It by no means made me a perfect writer but it showed me how to make ideas flow smoothly and encouraged me to explore the world of writing. Enter Blogspot stage left.

Now I had a platform with which to lay down my ideas. After a few awkward attempts to author my own blog under various themes, The Orange Jeep Dad was born and continues to provide a great venue for expressing ideas, logging family adventures and connecting with like-minded people around the world. I have every intention to share our new adventures with everyone as we start down this exciting (and extremely nerve-racking) road to increased self sufficiency by moving our large family from the busy hustle-n-bustle of a large metropolitan city (outskirts of Phoenix, Arizona) to a small town in Oklahoma.

Once Wifey and I reverse engineered our plan, we knew that our end goal was to live in a specific area of Oklahoma. The family farm was at the center of a concentric circle which would map out the jobs I would apply to based on a desired thirty minute or less commute time. That established a list of jobs, in my case hospitals, that I would begin soliciting.

Not knowing very many people in the healthcare industry in that region, I turned to the next best thing in my opinion: LinkedIn. LinkedIn, for those unfamiliar, is kind of like FaceBook in that it allows people to "friend" or, as they called it "Connect" to other individuals on the website. Where it is different from FaceBook, is that you create your profile which serves as an online resume. Potential employers can do a search on the website for people who have listed, in my example, Sonographer as their job title. It helps people looking for jobs to search postings for jobs, as well as help employers search for specific criteria on members' resumes.

Without getting too much deeper into the "how's and why's" of LinkedIn, there's just one more aspect I want to mention because it is pertinent to my story.  When you connect to a person on LinkedIn, it connects you on a 1st level connection with that person. There also exists a 2nd level and 3rd level of connection.  The best way I can explain it is to say that if I "directly" connect to Tom who works at Starbucks coffee shop, then Tom and I share a 1st level connection. If Tom is also connected to Jim "directly" because Jim gets his favorite latte every morning from Tom, I am now "indirectly" connected to Jim on a 2nd level connection. In other words, everyone you "connect" with...you also connect with their other connections on a 2nd or 3rd level of "indirect" connection. This comes in handy when you are applying for a job because, as an example, I can contact Jim and discuss employment opportunities while citing Tom as our common friend and casually mention that Tom can vouch for what a terrific / hard working / loyal etc person I am.

Well, as I searched the area in small town Oklahoma for a job, I zeroed in on the closest hospital to our family farm.  I searched LinkedIn using the keyword of that specific hospital by name. This brings up profiles on people who have listed themselves to be employed by the same hospital I was seeking.  A few dozen employees popped up but only a few were accessible without paying LinkedIn's premium fee to have full access.  Nonetheless, I found an ICU nurse and attempted to reach out and connect to her. I clicked the CONNECT button and hoped for the best.

Within 24 hours Mrs ICU Nurse accepted my request. I typed her a quick message thanking her for accepting my connection request and told her how I had just been in her little town a week ago for a family funeral. I shared with her that returning to see family had stirred my desire to move back to Oklahoma but I needed to find a job there before moving my entire family one thousand miles. She asked about the funeral and who was involved. Turns out SHE KNOWS MY FAMILY!

Within two hours, she returned a message saying she had just walked down the hall and had a talk with the Director of the department where I wanted to apply.  "He says send him your resume, he might have something for you." I was FLOORED! Before leaving Oklahoma during our funeral stay, I spent the entire last day calling every job ad on the internet for the hospitals in OKC and got nowhere. I left several messages that went without acknowledgement and had no idea how I was ever going to get a job there.

Visiting Grandma last Christmas in Oklahoma.
I sent the resume and three weeks went by.  I received a few emails from the Director with simple questions like "How many exams, on average, would you say you complete in a month?" That was the entire body of the first email. Another week went by. Second email said simply "What kind of salary are you looking for?" These emails were not giving me warm fuzzies. I didn't want to be pushy but I wasn't getting any younger either. I sent one more email the following week simply wishing him and his family to be well as this was the week of several horrible tornadoes in the area.

Finally, the planets lined up and I received an email with yet another single sentence: "When are you available for an interview?" I replied "anytime" and waited probably a whole ten minutes before I called the Director and said "how about now?" LoL.

The interview couldn't have gone any better. We joked, we talked numbers and after 90 minutes went by I realized we were at an awkward junction. As he said "Well...." a few times, I finished his sentence and said "...it's hard to hire someone without seeing them in person, right?" He asked if I could come for an interview to which I replied "Unfortunately, no." I explained that I had been to Oklahoma twice with my entire family since Christmas and I simply couldn't afford the expense (flying and driving were the same cost). I felt I was starting to lose his enthusiasm so I mentioned using Skype as a way to interview me online with video conferencing. He liked the idea and said he'd get back to me after talking with his I.T. people about how to make it happen.

A few days later, on a Friday at 1pm, we connected on Skype. Our audio ended up not working so I called him on my cellphone and we chatted over our cell phones while we watched each other on the computers. It worked good enough with no lagging and within 20 minutes, he offered me the job. 

Woo hoo! He gave me the weekend to think over the offer and I turned off the electronic gadgets. There it was. Phase One of Going Galt complete. I had the job in the town right next to our family farm. It wasn't too long after the initial wave of adrenaline rush that another emotion engulfed me:

What am I going to do now?!?

  • I have a family of eight to move 1000 miles and I begin working my new job in exactly TWO WEEKS...
  • We have lived in this house since it was built in 2001 and have accumulated TONS of stuff.
  • Big Sister (my 15 year old) is engulfed in summer school at the moment and THINKS she has a boyfriend. Oh boy.
  • The Queen (my 12 year old Princess) gets her braces removed in two months.
  • We're running low on funds (my last paycheck was last week).

and the list goes on and on...

Now I have to figure out how to make the transition. I have an idea but I need to work on it some more tonight.  I'll post more tomorrow.

How would YOU do it?

~OJD

No comments:

Post a Comment