Friday, August 5, 2011

Money Saving Idea Worth Repeating

Cheapest price per lb sliced.
I stopped by the grocery store this morning after work to grab some fresh fruits and veggies for juicing (link to last juicing post).  As is customary, I text Wifey to make sure there wasn't anything she needed before I left.  There's nothing worse than the dreaded "...wish I had known you were going, I needed some xyz..."

She replied we needed some sandwich meat for the kids school lunches so I headed over to the lunch meat section.  The average price for ONE pound of pre-sliced ham was $3.38-$4.50 depending on brand.  I've posted in the past about how we bought a meat slicer we found on CraigsList and slice our own meats to save money.

$7.98 for 5lbs whole.
I headed over to the meat counter and checked on the price of a whole ham.  A 5 lb whole ham was $7.98.  So 5lbs for $8 and I slice it or 5lb for $20 (averaged at $4/lb) and it's pre-sliced.  Wow.  Talk about paying for convenience.  I chuckled to myself and tossed a whole ham into my basket.

If you're looking to save money, and in this economy I don't know who isn't, consider slicing your own meats to save some serious cash.





No comments:

Post a Comment