Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I Put on My Angry Eyes




Just one of those days I guess...
Most parents out there will recognize that title from Toy Story.  I added it for a little humor because for some reason today, I'm really angry.  I don't know why really.  I just feel the emotion.  Maybe it's a guy thing?

I woke up earlier than normal.  Went out into the living room and endured just enough sibling rivalry to reach the point of telling everyone to stop whining, sit down and be quiet.  Of course, that lasted all of two minutes.

Older girls weren't doing the chores their mother was asking them to do.  Younger girls were fighting about who's stuff belong's to whom.  And the dog was barking because he couldn't reach the left over dinner scraps parked up on the dinner table...that no one bothered to clean up.

I snipped at a few kids for the remarks they were making at the dinner table and damned if I didn't feel guilty after doing it!  By that point, Wifey's looking at me, obviously caught on that something's wrong with my mojo.  I shrug it off and go change clothes to head to work. 

I was kind enough to say goodbye to everyone, including the snarky 10 year old who informed me at dinner that it was my responsiblity to pay for her wedding some day. I even hugged and kissed the Chloe Monster goodbye.  She's responsible for 99% of the background noise in our house every day.  Just random shrills and screams.  Like she's testing the audible durability level of the windows in our house.

I'm greeted at work by my dayshift opposite who explains with no facial expression how he justified leaving two CT Scans on a Telemetry patient FROM 4PM for me.  It's now 7:15pm.  I excuse myself to attend a Code in the ER and upon arrival the ER Physician says "It'll a be a bit til the patient gets here. Can you do a wrist xray in room 5?"  Sure.

After walking back across the hospital to get the xray film necessary for a wrist, I return to ER room 5.  I'm greeted by three generations of women.  Grandma and mom politely excuse themselves from the room as I begin to perform my xrays. 

"So", I say to the patient, "what happened to your wrist? Did you fall on it or something?"

"Well", she says, "No...I've just been drawing a lot lately and...." sentence ended.

So, here I am.  Already angry at the world.  Now I'm administering radiation to a 15 year old girl, brought in my her supossed elder more wiser parent and grandparent...because her wrist hurts from drawing too much.

Lord, just let this day end. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment