Thursday, July 7, 2011

Product Review: Sentry Safe Gun Safe

Sentry G0135 Gun Safe
Time to review my new Sentry Gun Safe. Specifically it is the G0135 black five long gun safe.  It surfaced on my radar as a Survival Deal a few weeks ago and I jumped on it for $151. It came with free shipping and was hand delivered right to my front door. Driver was nice enough to roll it into the house for me on his dolly. It now sells for $249.99 + shipping.

At 76 pounds, it isn't the hardest safe to move but you won't be getting it out the door easily.  It comes with mounting hardware to secure the safe to both wall and floor.  I particularly like the eight lever, double bit security key. Reminds me of the old "skeleton keys" from the old days but this one has a shiny chrome finish. The safe comes with two keys and instructions on how to obtain more if the originals are lost. In short, it requires $12 and a notary letter with proof of ownership.

Fully stocked, pic from Amazon.
The solid steel door has two hidden hinges on the inside of the safe and is roughly 2mm thick. The outside dimensions are 55 x 12 x 11.5 inches and the inside measures 53.5 x 11.8 x 9.5 inches (H xW x D) inside to deliver a capacity of 3.5 cubic feet of carpeted storage space. 

The slotted gun rack holds up to five long guns and has a convenient shelf at the top for ammo, cleaning supplies, etc.  While the rack holds up to five rifles, if you have larger scopes on them you should count on only fitting three comfortably.  If you have a 24" barreled rifle, you may want to modify the top shelf and move it up a bit.

It has a near 4 out of 5 star rating on Amazon (51 votes) and is brought down mostly by buyers who received their safes without keys. Let's be honest though. For $150, you can't expect a 300 pound Liberty safe.  This will, however, keep my shotgun out of reach from my little ones.

Thumbs up from me!

~OJD

No comments:

Post a Comment