Thursday, April 21, 2011

Thoughts on Home Security Upgrades & Armor Concepts


About six months ago, I decided it was time to beef up the security around the house. I researched many blogs and youtube videos for the many different options available today. The most detailed and helpful research, as usual, came from Rawles Survival Blog.

At that time, I chose to address entry points. How could I reinforce my doors and windows? After much research, I ended up using Armor Concepts Door Jamb Armor. They provided several videos on the product showing several attempts to kick the door down AND using a police battering ram. They also provided videos for installation. I outfitted all pertinent outside doors with Door Jamb Armor.



Next subject is the windows. Since this would be the only other source of entry, I researched: shatterproof window film (ballistic window film), traditional metal bars, and shatter alarms.

Where possible, I plan on planting some thorny bush in front of the windows. A comment from a landscaper over at Ready Nutrition mentioned barberry shrubs as a nice, thorny means of protection.

I contacted Roll Shutters and had them come over to give me an estimate. The cost was roughly $9000 to cover all my exterior windows with metal rolling shutters. Not exactly in my budget but nice to know what the cost would be.

Next time I revisit home security, I'll be addressing perimeter security and a possible safe room.

No comments:

Post a Comment